Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blazing Through KL

We departed Mabul in a rainy and dreary haze. The glimmering seas and brilliant green had lapsed into dull gray, reflecting our attitude. After backtracking the way we came, we stopped for a few extra hours in downtown Tawau for a seafood lunch of crabs and gigantic Mantis shrimp. The shrimp were stored individually in empty 2-litre bottles so they wouldn't attack and kill each other! I've never seen prawns fight, but I couldn't help but think of "District 9", and how bad it would be for everyone if they got out of those bottles. After picking up a few turtle fridge magnets, we flew back to Kuala Lumpur for the night.

Once in KL, our driver met us and shuttled us to our hotel located across the street from the Petronas Towers, the two' connected towers as seen in "Entrapment". I remember the movie and never thought a lot of it, but most people always reference it when describing the Petronas.

En route to the hotel, John and Gemma pose with me for a shot of the Petronas Towers.
From Sipadan Dive Trip
From Sipadan Dive Trip
From Sipadan Dive Trip
(No sign of Catherine Zeta-Jones or Sean Connery)

Feeling hungry and sick from a resurgence of the stomach bug combined with low blood sugar, I didn't enjoy my first night in KL. The following morning wasn't much better, but I toughed it out to make the most of our few hours in the city.

Andrea and Malaysians
From Sipadan Dive Trip
John, Andrea, Gemma, and I killing time in KL
From Sipadan Dive Trip

We checked out the gift shop of the Petronas (whooppee!), took photos, and walked around the block. Despite the uncomfortable humidity, I loved the battlefield look of KL: a striking tension between the lush, overgrown jungle and the concrete, high-rise, and streetlit marks of civilization. Tree tops compete with mid-rise office parks for height. Tree trunks struggle against the uncomfortably close, encroaching roadway and sidewalk. Metal storm drain covers overflow with vines having found root in the dark below.

The jungle meets the city in KL
From Sipadan Dive Trip
Vines conquer stormdrains
From Sipadan Dive Trip
Chinese temple across the street from our hotel
From Sipadan Dive Trip

Before staying goodbye, we had a lunch reservation together at the KL Tower in the rotating Menara KL Tower Restaurant. Upon entering, the staff forced shorts-wearing Ali to wear a sarong, a joke really since other patrons were in shorts (but probably less adventurous or more hostile than Ali).

KL Tower
From Sipadan Dive Trip

From Sipadan Dive Trip

At the top, the floor rotates the diners at a subtle, "are-you-sure-we're-moving?" speed, but fast enough to make me feel nauseous and slightly panicked over being subjected to the imbalance for hours. I got over it, and we had a feast! While rotating, the bathrooms and buffets stayed still, often leading to further disorientation.

Elevator ride in the KL tower
From Sipadan Dive Trip

From Sipadan Dive Trip
Petronas Towers and KL from above
From Sipadan Dive Trip

Where did the bathroom go?
From Sipadan Dive Trip

From Sipadan Dive Trip


Honor your secretary with a drag queen performance at the KL Tower!
From Sipadan Dive Trip


Arriving a little late to the airport, the flight was a little full, but friendly banter got me upgraded to business! The excitement over champagne and gourmet food eclipsed the sadness of saying goodbye.
From Sipadan Dive Trip

Landing back in Perth, I caught a taxi and tried to guide my driver through the suburbs. I felt along the grooves of my keys, trying to remember which one opened the lock on my front door. The reality of being back set in, and easily forgotten faces of my coworkers started to reappear. Now I need to start thinking how to feed myself again...

No comments: