Monday, August 1, 2011

Halong Honeymoon

From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam

Midway through our time in Hanoi, we went to Halong Bay to take a boat cruise for 3 days and 2 nights. These tours are known to have 'accidents', including the occasional sinking. Which is why I was happy when I found out our 'private' boat had been switched out for a public boat (with a larger, more attentive crew and better facilities, perhaps).

On board, we spent our time laying on the deck, taking in the scenery, eating delicious multi-course meals, and kayaking- LOTS of kayaking! I call it a 'honeymoon' as it was perfect for couples. Being the only single guy there, I felt out of place, but glad I got my own single kayak, my own bed, and my own shower!
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


One day, we stopped near a water village to visit with the locals and see young kids studying in school. The women in the village rowed out to our boat to pick us up- it was a little eerie to see them coming, like invading ninjas!
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
algebra at what, 7?
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
school letting out
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
the carpool lane
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


We didn't think to bring toys or gifts, but I think Cathy left some bubble gum. I gave what I had- Singapore Airlines socks and a toothbrush / toothpaste! 'we got ripped off,' I bet the girls said when they opened their gifts from us.
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


We spent more time kayaking and eating... and stopped at some beaches as well.
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


We even worked in some squid fishing
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam

On our final night, we stopped at one island for dinner. Up on the mountain was a cave, which had been lit and decked out for dinner!
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam

Lots of food art- more in the album link!
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


View from the cave
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


Complimentary robes in our rooms went to good use!
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


Sunset shots

From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam


And after three awesome days, our return to port...
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam
From Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay, Vietnam

I totally forgot that we could have sunk!!

No comments: