Friday, June 22, 2007

Lifts and Uplifts

Although I live 10 minutes from work, getting to my office is an adventure. First, I have to drive in circles to reach the office, then we have to drive through a dirt pit, then wait in a long queue for a security check point, drive down three basement floors to wait for an elevator to take me to the 39th. Although there are 8 elevators, only 2 are designated for the top floors. There are 11 or so parking decks, and in order to grab a spot on the elevator, you have to ride it down to the basement before you can ride it to the top. Because tons of people have to use these elevators, it often reaches me on B3 packed to the brim, and you'd wait hours for a spot. This week I had to run up 10 floors to the highest parking deck, grab a spot, and ride it down, passing all my coworkers. Earlier this week, I was waiting on B3 when several of my coworkers appeared in the lift (riding it down first), and with the lift wobbling and unable to take anyone up, an adventure ensued of getting them out of the defunct elevator, and finding a way around the hordes of people while grabbing any friends we caught eye of. It's hard to actually sit and do work after that. When this building is fully occupied, I will have to come in before 8!

I went in to church this morning, and the crowds are already thinning out as the temperatures rise. Walking in and out of church is the most outdoor time I think I get (usually I'm in basements of parking garages.) As today was Communion Friday, I found myself really emotional. I was just swept over in gratitude for God for letting me be a part of a group of believers who engage in the sacrament, and for calling me to him no matter where I am in this world. Despite everything else that changes in my life, and despite all the roles I'm expected to play, I am reminded of the immutability of Christ and the Law, as well as the power in prayer and devotions. I hear the same words as I would in the states, but now I find greater value in this one, unchanging part of creation- the Creator. God continues to challenge me and speak to me exactly where I need to hear him, no matter how far from the South I find myself.

I got set up with a bank this week, and hopefully soon I will be able to transfer money over so that I can begin car shopping. I will no longer be paid in Dollars, but Dirhams. That feels strange to me, but now at least I won't have the international fees charged on me when I use my ATM card.

Clint (my Dubai boss) is headed to the states for 2 weeks, so I am on pet sitting duty. I will be staying in his unbelievable apartment and taking care of his wife's pekingese while Rob (my boss from the states) stays in my apartment. It was all I could do to clean it up and make it somewhat presentable. Luckily, Rob's coming is a ray of hope in this war-torn office, and he understands that I need to be managed better than I have been. Hopefully that means I'll get to go home at decent times of day, but watching Clint's dog Fuzzy will ensure that I'll be able to keep better hours for a change. Rob was dismayed by how undecorated my apartment was, and immediately guessed correctly that they never gave me time to tackle the project. I'm going to charge Rob with helping me decorate the place while he is living there.

Otherwise, things are ok. Work is hard but rewarding. We still try to find times to go out and enjoy ourselves- last night I found myself on an arabic restaurant rooftop bordered by the tips of palm trees, sitting at an oversized table surrounded by pillows, curtains, and shisha pipes. The downside was that it still is very hot and humid at night. I promise promise promise to have pictures and/or video up soon.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Great to hear how things are going with you. I hope that the hours are lightening up a little with your boss in from the States and that you get to enjoy the apartment. Your reflections on communion were particularly poignant to me and reminded me of how much the community of believers means to me. Take care, bro.

Ivy Mae said...

Gah, all that about work makes me happy that I have some vacation time! I hope things get better work-wise!

brians said...

What are shisha pipes? Julie

Anonymous said...

Phil...we need another update! I hope your are keeping your head above water!!