A few of my favorite coworkers and I celebrated New Year's Eve at the Palace Hotel next to the Burj Dubai (the world's tallest building still under construction). Most of the venues in Dubai charge enormous cover charges like New York City (anywhere from $70 to $300, maybe not even covering food!!), but we luckily found a place where we could go without a cover. We had dinner at a very expensive Thai restaraunt, followed by a poolside party with a DJ and confetti and such. I have been much more dirham-conscious as of late, and I departed from my coworkers in my refusal to order more than one drink. Especially as they were priced at $16-30, bottles of wine were the highest I've seen, and beers were at $11 ($7 is common for a beer, anywhere in Dubai). Crazy! Anyway, after dinner, we went outside to the pool for dancing and to just hang out in the atmosphere.
Below is part of our group and the Burj Dubai in the background- the world's tallest building and still under construction.
And while we had streamers and confetti and music and lights, we didn't see a SINGLE firework go off! We were sure the Burj would have something! We had considered going to the rooftop of our office building to watch the fireworks across Dubai, but I guess I'll save that for next year. Lessons learned...
And thanks to Nan for sending me a wedding invitation! The tradeoff to being here is continually missing all the important life changes and events the people I care about go through. Congratulations, Nan!
No comments:
Post a Comment