Sunday, January 13, 2008

God Bless the USA!

President Bush is currently in Dubai! In some weird way, I sort of expect him to call me up and ask me to come to lunch or something. I mean, how could he come to town and not round us Americans up? I saw 4 military helicopters fly down the beach outside my window, so I'm pretending that was him.

But more importantly, because of his arrival (and recent rain drizzles which no one can drive safely in- yes rain!), most of the main roads are closed from dawn to dusk. That translated into a holiday for all the public and private sectors in Dubai. This means that I haven't had a 5 day week in over a month! Woohoo!! We had Eid before Christmas, then Christmas day, then New Years day, and last week, we had the Islamic New Year. It will be very difficult to adjust going back to a normal schedule. I think they also closed the roads not just due to reckless drivers but because he could be a big Target here among foreign government sponsored expats, and Dubai isn't equipped to provide adequate protection against insane bombers.

On the other hand, news of Bush coming to town has practically instituted the litmus test throughout our office. My coworkers (friends and foes, Americans and Internationals) suddenly all want to put me on the spot asking whether I like him or not, just to pounce or judge me based on the response. However, I have been direct every time saying that I am an American and I support my country whoever my president is. It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with him, because over here, I am still an American. And it's a common thing for you to talk bad about your family, but it's unacceptable for other people to talk bad about your family. The last thing any of us need to do here is facilitate and foster disrespect for America among internationals. I guess I am extra sensitive about the Americans here that don't think a thing about it and blast our home country for the rest of this global melting pot to hear.

Anyway, God Bless the USA and President Bush for getting me out of work today.
9-11! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying looking through your blogs. Sorry that it has been so long. Our little one should be coming soon...we'll be sure to email you the particulars. I am especially impressed by the fog pictures. They are spectacular! - Daniel

Unknown said...

Amen. I am very proud of you. Stand up for America! There are so many willing to bash America and they are the very ones who would give anything to be a part of this great country. Thank you for supporting our country and our wonderful President!

mr. mae said...

I agree w/both comments your pictures are incredible and it's good to hear that you won't play into "the lets bash the U.S." game... I hate it when people do that... I chose to come to this country I'm very proud of being an american now... and it just ticks me off when I have to defend it from its own citizens...