Tuesday, March 20, 2007

America's Wake

Trying to understand TV in Dubai "is like trying to find the meaning in a Pauly Shore movie." That's a line from "Clueless." The movie, that is. Often you'll find Arabic-subtitled episodes of "Clueless the TV Series", "Grace under Fire", "Roseanne", and "Girlfriends". I'm sure it's inaccurate to say, but I believe this is a representative cross-section of American TV here. I don't think anyone could have predicted the power of Grace and Roseanne for training legions of white trash on an international scale. Bombs and sanctions can't compare to this monster we've unleashed onto the world. I immediately wondered if the subtitled translations of "Sister, Sister" are converted to government propaganda.


Of about 200 channels, only 10 are english-speaking, and there's no telling what will show up next. As a result of rampant mismatching of TV eras, I believe the natives have reasonable evidence to assume that we still dress like the characters on "Murphy Brown." I found American Idol a few nights back, but soon realized it was an old season. Everything is a season behind. Oddly enough, E! is the only true American channel. I think VH1 could win over the Middle East with their celebreality (TM) programming (and Best Week Ever), but they've resigned to only play concert videos from the 70s. ABC.com's shows online (LOST) are inaccessable here. If I decide to move here, I will need a dvd collection. Or discover better ways to spend time.

More extraneous details: Radio stations are more up to speed, while R-rated movies are censored and bleeped in theaters. And you have to apply for a liquor license to buy alcohol outside of a restaurant (and it takes forever to obtain). We eat a lot of Lebanese food, and the service and hospitality here is unmatchable. Our office has a dedicated full-time "coffee boy", and mostly every apartment-renter pays for a maid. People will wash your car every day for practically nothing, and they are thrilled to work so hard for you. No one is trying to cheat you. Americans are rare, but there are plenty of South Africans, British, and Austrailians.

2 comments:

minnemie said...

See, you should have believed these weirdo's from the start when we said it's not worth watching. Put it in the closet.
;-)

ATerrellSmith said...

This is hilarious!!

"I don't think anyone could have predicted the power of Grace and Roseanne for training legions of white trash on an international scale. Bombs and sanctions can't compare to this monster we've unleashed onto the world."