Here is a picture of my apartment view, overlooking Dubai Marina. I currently work on the 40th floor of Shatha Tower. My friend and coworker Gemma took me onto the roof to take advantage of the view (HERE!!) . From the roof (and inside the office), you can clearly see the Burj (the sailboat shaped hotel), the Palm Jumeirah and Atlantis Hotel at it's tip, and some of the World islands in the distance. If you look at the pictures, keep in mind that nearly everything you see has been constructed within the past 3-5 years. Absolutely incredible, and there's no sign of slowing down.
The traffic system is insane with lots of roundabouts, required u-turns, and needless overpasses- and you'll drive forever and just find yourself 100m from where you started. Yes, I have to speak metric now. Taxi's are very cheap though.
As for me, adaptation is underway. I'm finding my playful side again, finding ways to honestly share my heart with the new friends given to me, and I'm spreading out my dependence on other office mates. I found myself going out to lunch with the CEO of our parent company the other day- I was speechless but survived. We have been going out every night so far, but still make it home before it gets too late. Tonight I toured the Mall of the Emirates (where the indoor ski-slope is located), and last night I tried the cherry shisha at a rooftop restaurant. I can't wait to try out the slopes. The work has been tough (8AM-7PM), and it will get worse since the Gainesville office keeps trying to send me their work. But at the moment, I feel good about everything. They keep extending the date of my trip home...
More to come!
2 comments:
Where are the trees? I have not seen any trees, grass, or any kind of plant. Do they not grow there amid the skyscrapers and sand?
Phil, those views are absolutely AMAZING. Looks like you're having yourself a "once in a lifetime" experience. Keep the pics coming, hope you're doing well.
-Wu
Post a Comment