After several months of questioning whether my firm actually intended to send me to Dubai, I found myself beginning the 28 hour journey on Pi day (March 14). On the plane to NY, I reluctantly caught up on VH1's "I Love New York", and to Hamburg, I got to watch some of my favorite episodes of "The Office". DBX airport found me lost in a sea of indians and arabs, unable to use my cell phone or find my boss for a few hours. I was more happy that my luggage wasn't lost. Since being here, I have moments of stress and fear, but I calm down and also have moments where things seem manageable. I embrace every feeling that comes and give them space instead of snapping myself into shape or punishing myself for where I feel inadequate. This has been an unbelievable tool that I've discovered and refined over the past year.
Over the first few days here, I have been thrown into work- Feeling very overwhelmed, I went to the Dubai International Boat Show, where marina suppliers come to meet and show off (and our parent company was there to lease boat slips for the Palm Jumeirah Anchor Marinas. All the business interactions I was thrown into have shaken my introverted foundations, but I know a day will come when I will outgrow these places where I feel so ignorant and intimidated. We are so pressed at the office, it puts pressure on me to perform well and fast. So far that's been tough with my transition.
My temporary apartment tower overlooks the dubai marina (Al Majara 2). I wake up looking out to the shorefront arabian skyscrapers with the beach peeking through. Dubai is an enormous construction zone, but it's an exciting time to be here. My office mates drive me around and make sure I don't miss a meal or a drink. My boss, Clint, usually has me over all the time and has really helped me to believe it is in my ability to find stability in such a mysterious place.
While the rest of our office is chaotic, intense, and full of powerful elitists, my boss Clint is so down to earth with a good heart. His wife stephanie is from Florida, and they have treated me like family. Stephanie reminds me of a cross between Holli Best and LOST's Juliet. I miss LOST and am abstaining from reading anything online.
3 more interesting things:
1) Friday is the Holy Day, so we work Sundays! Churches are held on Fridays, but there aren't many to choose from.
2) Operating EVERY appliance (kitchen/bathroom) requires more training than you'd expect. I was thrilled to figure out the stove and hot water heater, the washer/dryer still terrifies me.
3) The tv is ridiculous. Will post more on that later.
Pray that I will have strength to assert myself and grow into my position, and also for finding fellowship. And pray that I will be able to confidently make the decision of what to do next with my career and life. Feeling displaced always challenges and refreshes my walk, so that has been a good thing. Please please please send emails, all familiarity is good at this point.
Love, Phil
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I want to hear more about these washer-dryers when you get the chance... =)
Wow, Philip. Thanks for letting us in on your adventures. Erin and I will try and stay updated. Do know that we will be praying for your needs, so we're glad you can keep us posted here online. Blessings. -Jeremy
Hey buddy, i love the idea of the blog. You are the best coastal engineer in the world. Remember, they need you! Not you need them. They asked you to help. I'm lookin forward to seeing what you have done when I come to visit. You haven't missed anything with LOST. Kate died though. Anyways, I will be reading this often so keep us up to date. Prayin for ya. Can't see a muskrat without crying over you being gone,
~Mike T
Hey this is great! I'm missing our games of LIFE. Badger says hi and looks forward to seeing you when you get back. Take care and yourself. It sounds like you are doing great.
Hey, I'm a little dissapointed that you haven't posted any UAE cats yet... I'm happy that everything is going well so far, and it looks like you have a pretty awesome view from your apartment.
Whenever you get back, I'll have the Wii fired up here in Atlanta for some heated games of tennis and bowling.
Talk to you soon.
Terry Bradshaw
Thanks for letting us in on your new world Philip. Sounds like a huge learing curve right now. James and I will be praying for you. And can I just say "yikes" on the 80's sitcom options!
Hey, what a great blog!!! (Your mom gave me the URL.) Very educational and entertaining....I look forward to reading about your exploits!
Need to know more about (let's see, how did you word that?)"Gemma, the CEO's 'personal assistant...'"
Curt Boswell
Florence, SC
Post a Comment