Thursday, November 6, 2008

Vouchers and Dubai Netflix

Neddie is a restaurant voucher vixen, and so Ty and I typically resign any solitary plans to help Neddie knock out a few buy-one-get-one's. Every time she pulls out her giant books of coupons, I am torn between the price reduction and the heavy burden of using up all of the remaining vouchers. The impending Dec 31 expiration date only frustrates me more. I hear myself speak my dad's words, "We're going broke saving money"- a line he'd use on my mom in the wake of any bulk discount sale, outlet shopping, or a rash of dog sweater purchases on Ebay. I switch focus to how the vouchers have too much control over us, dictating where/what we eat and our schedules. I suppress these ingrained grievances and pledge not to spoil everyone's sense of accomplishment which follows any discounted meal.



Recently, we went to a restaurant in the Radisson near the office after work. Days later, Ty and I would admit to each other that we never have liked the place, but who are we to deny the almighthy voucher. The place consists of fleeting Filipino wait staff parading with skewers of assorted meats, and convincing them to empty their skewers onto your plate is like trying to call cats.

Midway through dinner, Ty announces that the DVD Lady sold them 16 DVD's the night before. I am amazed by this and think of how people get by without the DVD lady in the States. The quality of DVD Lady's bootleg copies range from "genuine fake" to something filmed by a palsy victim. You can make requests to the DVD lady, like for the Office Season 4 which isn't out here yet, and she comes back the next week with whatever you've asked plus box covers and printed CD labels. I guess the US has blockbuster and netflix. With DVD Lady, you get to keep the movies, and they come to your door just like netflix. DVD lady doesn't accept credit but she does give out her mobile number for orders or emergencies, I suppose. Also, I think she will negotiate prices, but she doesn't print out coupons or gift vouchers. Thanks for sparing me, DVD lady.

DSC00054

No comments: